Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Someone wants to eat their own cake

More nonsense about how men's tennis isn't manly enough. The writer of this opinion piece peppers it with caveats in order to have it both ways. But the title, and the article's very existence, is basically a call for animosity between players. Because that's exciting. Or something. It's a vague love letter to days gone by, the good ol' days, when bratty American's ruled. I wonder if he also joneses for Marcelo Rios to return. Somehow I doubt it.

Reminds me of that nut that NPR gives a pedestal to on Wednesdays Frank Deford). Just look at Grandpa Munster. He once had an NPR-level rant about how male tennis players should not collapse after a win, because it wasn't triumphant enough for him. It did not, in his opinion, celebrate enough. Too passive a practice, he thinks. I nearly pulled a muscle with that eye roll. How could anyone contemplate that subject long enough to record a show on?

Tennis is, at its heart, a gentlemanly sport. And that's what I like about it. Like Federer Hingis was a very amiable number one. I think this is a good thing. I know many people mean well when they suggest changes to attract more fans (by making it more like other sports). But I love the sport as is. It's unique. I hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment