Friday, September 11, 2009

How things have changed

During the rain delay at this year's Open they have been playing some vintage matches. They played a very entertaining (and long) clip from 1979, 2nd round, mens match. McEnroe vs Nastase. The event was new to me--I was 9 years old at the time. But amidst some controversy over the 30-second rule for serving the crowd got very rowdy (NYC, natch), play was at a long standstill, and the players and tournament referee were discussing the problem on court. My favorite part was this:



Just hilarious how things have changed. So casual, the guy sauntering on court to share his thoughts on the matter, and hardly an eye is batted. He is swatted away like a mildly annoying gnat.

3 comments:

  1. This was the first time I heard of this incident either, and I thought it was hilarious! I've been trying to find the full clip of this riot, but without success. Do you have it recorded or know where I could find it online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! I just deleted the recording minutes ago. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Well that blows. nobody on the planet seems to have a copy of that. You would think someone would throw that out on youtube or something

    ReplyDelete